I recently accidentally made my first ever baked good. I made-ah the pizza pie-ah. It took me me as long as it takes to watch Skyfall on Netflix, so not the fastest process. Things started off rough when I put the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, only to find I had measured the baking powder in tablespoons and not teaspoons. THIS IS WHY I CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. I considered throwing it all away and starting over, which was probably the best option, but I have exactly no idea how much flour costs these days, and for all I know it's really expensive.
So instead I tried to scoop out roughly the right amount of baking powder. Then I threw in some more flour to make up for the flour I accidentally scooped out. In case anyone is still confused, I am incapable of following recipes when I cook so this is why Jonathan, Mr. Rulesy, does the baking. But with that major screw-up out of the way, I felt a lot better making things up as I went. Here's the shocking thing: it turned out really tasty.
It looks crazy, but I liked the taste. Perhaps not enough to bake more frequently, but it's nice to know that at 29 years old I can bake something without someone there to measure my ingredients for me. I mean, yeah, had Jonathan been there things might have gone more smoothly. But whatever.
You know what's just as good as making your own meal, and even easier? Paying someone else to feed you. We did just that at Heidelberg Bakery. It's run by really nice, really stern Germans who make phenomenal baked goods, and on Saturdays they sell sausages and potato salad (or potatoes a lot, as Andy calls it to German waitresses).
Tonight I went to the curator's tour of the new exhibition at the Phillips. It's a lovely show. Not sure how my tours will go, but the first one is tomorrow at 2pm, so fingers crossed. The exhibition's last room has a digital learning center with an open photo booth to take a picture and pixilate it like pointillist art. My friend Caitlin and I did it, then we helped this cute guy do the same. It was the best.
I loved how this really proper old man was totally game to take a selfie. If I have the choice between being old and fun and just being old, I want to be old and fun.
It looks crazy, but I liked the taste. Perhaps not enough to bake more frequently, but it's nice to know that at 29 years old I can bake something without someone there to measure my ingredients for me. I mean, yeah, had Jonathan been there things might have gone more smoothly. But whatever.
You know what's just as good as making your own meal, and even easier? Paying someone else to feed you. We did just that at Heidelberg Bakery. It's run by really nice, really stern Germans who make phenomenal baked goods, and on Saturdays they sell sausages and potato salad (or potatoes a lot, as Andy calls it to German waitresses).
When all of you come visit VA we will take you here on a Saturday and your minds will be blown. You're welcome in advance.
We went to the bakery between shifts for Day to Serve at church. Day to Serve is a yearly regional event in which lots of people (in this case Mormons, Methodists, and Episcopalians) get together and serve. We packed meals and then organized grocery items. When that was over Jonathan and I drove home only to find an art fair going on!
It was a real mixed bag in terms of art I liked, art I disliked, and art I greatly disliked. There was, of course, art I REALLY, REALLY liked, but Jonathan refused buy anything (my wallet was at home - a huge mistake). So now he can add "local art fair" to his list of placed he'd rather not take me. It's a pretty long list.Tonight I went to the curator's tour of the new exhibition at the Phillips. It's a lovely show. Not sure how my tours will go, but the first one is tomorrow at 2pm, so fingers crossed. The exhibition's last room has a digital learning center with an open photo booth to take a picture and pixilate it like pointillist art. My friend Caitlin and I did it, then we helped this cute guy do the same. It was the best.
I loved how this really proper old man was totally game to take a selfie. If I have the choice between being old and fun and just being old, I want to be old and fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment